Special Message About Giving During the COVID-19 Pandemic
We are not meeting in a building right now, but we all believe the church ‘is not the building’ but the people. Mariners Church is just as real and just as relevant as before. In fact, we as a church family are more important now than ever before as people are looking for hope and help.
- If you have been giving and lost your income, please be very careful what you consider giving.
- If this situation has not affected your income at all now is the time to resume giving.
- And if God has blessed you, now is the time to give more to make up for the giving that others can’t do.
Thank you for your generosity to Mariners Church and the purpose we live out on the Coastside connecting people to God.
We support people affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and for many other life situations!
One cool thing about this church is that we take 10% of EVERYTHING that comes in and we give it back to the community and people in need. This ministry is called Helping Hands and last year we gave out over $100,000 to help people in need. You can be assured that your continued generosity not only funds the operations and continued activity of your church and its operations, but also goes directly to to people who have expressed real needs.
Are You in Need?
We would like to hear from you, whether your need is physical, financial or spiritual. If you are in need of assistance during this time please click the button below and a member of the Mariners Pastoral Staff or the Helping Hands team will contact you.
“Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver…….Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! 2 Corinthians 9:7, 15”
We practice the discipline of giving first and foremost out of response to the loving good gift that is Jesus Christ who gave himself for us so that we might have life to the fullest.
We invite you to be a part of the work of Mariners Church and help continue to tell the story of the One we worship and adore.
- You may give in person at any of our services or by bringing your offering in to our offices during normal business hours.
- You may also mail a contribution to our offices at 100 Stone Pine Rd, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
- If you desire to contribute through online giving, please go to https://pushpay.com/pay/marinerscc. You have the options to give a one-time gift or set up a regular schedule. Please note: While you have the option to use a credit card for your giving, we discourage going into debt to contribute to Mariners Church.
- You can text MARINERSCC to “77977” and follow the prompts to give through your smartphone!
Please take advantage of the method that works best for you.
To deduct any charitable donation of money on your tax return, regardless of amount, the IRS requires that a donor have either a bank record or written communication from the charity. Bank records include canceled checks, bank or credit union statements, and credit card statements. For any single contribution over $250, the donor must have written acknowledgement from the charity. MCC will assist those who have donated a total of $200 or more to the church during a calendar year by mailing contribution statements in January of the following year. Please do not file your income taxes until you have received this statement. If you have given less than $200, your bank records are sufficient for the IRS. However, if you would still like a statement from MCC, you may call and request one be sent. MCC posts all contributions to individual accounts (excluding cash contributions where the donor is unknown) and this information is available to you at any time on your myMCC profile.
Year of deductibility for year-end contributions
The IRS states that contributions are deductible in the year made. Checks will count as a 2020 contribution as long as they are mailed in 2020 and clear shortly thereafter. Donations made online or charged to a credit card will count as a 2020 contribution as long as they are charged in 2020. At MCC we will follow these guidelines as we want to have full integrity regarding the timeliness and cut-off of year-end contributions.
1) A check written in December 2020 but deposited in the church offering in January 2021 will be a year 2021 contribution. A check written and deposited in the offering in January 2021 but dated in December 2020 will be a year 2021 contribution.
2) A check written and mailed in December 2020 and postmarked in 2020 but not received until January 2021 is a year 2020 contribution.
3) A check written and deposited in the mail in December 2020 but not postmarked until January 2021 and not received by the church until January 2021 will be a year 2021 contribution.
4) Credit card contributions charged before the end of 2020 count for 2020, even if the credit card bill isn’t paid until 2021
5) Online contributions initiated in 2020 but not scheduled for payment until 2021 are 2021 contributions.
Our Steering Team have established two approved funds to which you can designate your giving. They are the general fund and building (New Wave) fund. Additionally from time to time there are special designations that can be made such as towards community relief or an individual’s mission trip. Donations made to these funds and special events are tax-deductible. According to IRS guidelines, such gifts remain under the jurisdiction and control of MCC.
Checks received by Mariners Church as payments where goods or services are received by the donor are not contributions and not tax deductible per the IRS. Examples are: camps and retreats, curriculum fees for classes, purchase of shirts, book purchases, event tickets, etc.
If you have any questions regarding these issues, please feel free to contact us at 650 726-5959.